There are many decisions that need to be made when it comes to elder care, and one of the biggest is where you or your loved one will be living. There are many different factors that go into the decision-making process and I have broken down most of the steps and signs of when to move from long-term care to a nursing home or assisted living.
In recent years in-home care has been increasingly popular. Elders will be able to receive the care they need while being able to stay in the comfort of their home or at a loved one’s house. There are many different home care services that are offered to elders such as household maintenance, transportation, personal care, health care, and more. How do you choose what you need and if your needs surpass the limits of in-home care and actually need to be moved into assisted living or nursing home?
Signs That You Need to Switch Your Elder to a Nursing Home
Deciding on whether or not to move your loved on to a nursing home can be difficult, but there are signs to know when it’s time:
- Medical: Has medical issues that need daily attention and constant care for.
- Mobility: Has difficulty walking to the bathroom by themselves or walking up and downstairs. Mobility has become severely restricted.
- Functionality: Becoming dependent on someone for everyday activities, such as getting dressed, showering, or eating.
- Financial: Having in-home care is becoming too expensive and need to look at other alternatives.
- Family: It’s no longer possible to have a family member constantly looking after the elder.
Benefits of a Nursing Home
Switching from in-home care to a nursing home can be hard on your loved one and the family, but it will be beneficial for everyone in the long run.
- Help with daily activities will be provided
- They will be in an active social environment where they can create new friendships
- Housekeeping will be provided, like laundry, making the bed, and other cleaning duties
- Food will be cooked for them, so you don’t have to worry about cooking meals
- Specialized health care will be provided so your elder gets the proper care they need
Deciding on between in-home care or a nursing home can be a really tough decision for you and your family, and I completely understand that. I’m here to provide you with the support you need throughout this journey that you and your family are experiencing. I am highly knowledgeable in elder law and can help you with anything you may need. Contact me today to set up a complimentary consultation.